Marvell's EZ-Connect MW300 Wi-Fi Microcontroller Powers Mattel's Interactive New Hello Barbie Fashion Doll
Marvell partners with Mattel to deliver a unique and engaging way for children to interact with Barbie
Santa Clara, California (September 22, 2015) – Marvell (NASDAQ:MRVL) — a worldwide leader in providing complete silicon solutions from mobile communications to storage, Internet of Things (IoT), cloud infrastructure, digital entertainment, in-home content delivery and Kinoma® software enabling the “Smart Life and Smart Lifestyle”— today announced that Marvell’s EZ-Connect MW300 Wi-Fi microcontroller has been selected by Mattel to power Hello Barbie, the first fashion doll capable of having a two-way conversation with children.
Hello Barbie features speech recognition technology that provide girls with an engaging and unique play experience. Supported by Marvell’s MW300 Wi-Fi microcontroller, the Hello Barbie plays interactive games, tells jokes, inspires storytelling and tailors conversations based on play history. The Barbie doll will be available for sale this Fall at retailers nationwide.
Hello Barbie utilizes Marvell’s MW300 Wi-Fi microcontroller system-on-chip (SoC) that provides both the Wi-Fi connection as well as the microcontroller to run Hello Barbie firmware. The MW300 includes integrated power-management and programmable optimizations for low-power operation, multiple layers of security and a comprehensive software development kit. Together these elements provide a highly integrated SoC, reducing design complexity and cost enabling rich featured and secure Wi-Fi based IoT products. The MW300 is part of the industry’s most complete line of silicon platform solutions targeting a full range of IoT applications including: wearables, home automation, home security, personal healthcare, smart appliances, smart toys, accessories and remote controls, automotive, lighting, industrial Internet and more.
Key features of Hello Barbie Fashion Doll include:
- 8,000 lines of dialogue and 20 games
- Provides up to 60 minutes of play on a full battery charge and has a portable charger
- Features speech recognition technology activated by a push-and-hold button on the Barbie doll’s belt buckle
- Equipped with a microphone, speaker and two tri-color LEDs that are embedded in Hello Barbie’s necklace, lighting up when she is active
- Requires a Wi-Fi connection to allow for a two-way conversation
- Remembers up to three different Wi-Fi locations
Key features of Marvell’s EZ-Connect MW300 Wi-Fi microcontroller include:
- Secure boot based on hardware root of trust enabling complete, multi-layered security solution to provide secure persistent storage and communications
- A flexible memory architecture with generous 512kB SRAM and an accelerated flash controller providing memory-mapped access to external QSPI flash enabling IoT devices to be built with full-featured communication protocols, stacks and support integrations into multiple platforms and ecosystems
- Low-power optimizations enabling deep low-power states and reduced power-consumption in active modes to enable battery-powered applications
- Very low RBOM requiring only a single crystal, QSPI flash, and antenna with a single input power rail. A QFN package enables low PCB cost
- Easy interfacing to sensors, actuators, and other components via a full set of I/O interfaces including SPI, I2C, UART, I2S, PWM, ADC, DAC reducing extra components and PCB footprint
- Audio and video streaming enabled in any IoT device via a powerful Cortex-M4F CPU with DSP and Floating-point support, large SRAM, and high-speed IO interfaces
- Production quality software SDK providing libraries for networking middleware (HTTP, TLS, BSD Sockets, MQTT, Web-Sockets, JSON, XML, etc.), easy connection to Wi-Fi networks, Secure over-the-air (OTA) firmware update, persistent storage, and more
- Tools and documentation to facilitate hardware and software development and optimizations, and help customers through manufacturing and certifications to bring products to market quickly
As used in this release, the term “Marvell” refers to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.Marvell.com.