Marvell Introduces OpenFlow-enabled Switches
OpenFlow in a full-featured switch enhances services and control without compromising established functionality
Santa Clara, California (May 10, 2011) – Marvell (Nasdaq: MRVL), a worldwide leader in integrated silicon solutions, today announced the availability of an OpenFlow-enabled, fully featured switching solution based on Marvell's award-winning networking control stack and the Prestera® family of packet processors. Marvell's new OpenFlow switches support 1GbE, 10GbE and 40GbE port configurations.
OpenFlow allows network administrators to build software-defined networks optimized for specific applications and services. It also provides a flexible and convenient way to dynamically re-architect the network in-situ without a tear-down and new setup of equipment. Coupled with a full-featured network service stack, an integrated solution offers all the benefits of OpenFlow without trading off long established services necessary in a production network environment.
- OpenFlow is an emerging standard for adding programmable control to standard networking equipment
- Marvell is a founding member of the Open Network Foundation, and is actively involved in the development of OpenFlow
- Marvell has developed an implementation of OpenFlow that is integrated into its existing line of network switches based on its Prestera family of packet processors
- Marvell's integrated approach provides support for the full complement of L2/L3/L4 managed-switch features, and adds the benefits of OpenFlow
- Marvell offers OpenFlow as a production-quality feature on its managed switching solutions
- MTS application provides the full range of switching services, including Security, Quality of Service (QoS), Logging/Monitoring and fault-tolerance support, and is fully manageable via an industry standard Graphical User Interface (GUI), Command Line Interface (CLI), SNMPv2 and V3, XML, and now OpenFlow
- The OpenFlow-enabled switching solutions are available immediately
- Paul Valentine, vice president of marketing for Marvell's Enterprise Business Unit, said, "Marvell is committed to building solutions for next-generation data centers. OpenFlow integrated with a full-featured switching application enables faster deployment of differentiated services in cloud infrastructures while providing improved operator control."
- Dr Nick McKeown, Stanford professor of electrical engineering and computer science, said, "OpenFlow allows for the deployment of innovative routing and switching solutions for applications, like virtual machine mobility, security and other services for next-generation mobile networks. It is exciting to see a growing number of commercially available OpenFlow switches and software-defined networks."
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) is a world leader in the development of storage, communications and consumer silicon solutions. Marvell's diverse product portfolio includes switching, transceiver, communications controller, wireless and storage solutions that power the entire communications infrastructure, including enterprise, metro, home and storage networking. As used in this release, the term "Marvell" refers to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries. For more information, visit Marvell.com.
Marvell, Prestera and the M logo are registered trademarks of Marvell and/or its affiliates. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.